Sunday, December 21, 2008

Oh deer!



Meet Bucky. Bucky will be my dinner guest quite a few times for the next six months or so.
I got down to butchering my buck, and I have to give props before I go on:
I had always admired butchers and their trade as a whole, but after this excursion, My tips to my local meatmen are going up (well, as much up as I can afford, along with this public admiring!). I fell into the "I can do that" trap that I am famous for...I've seen hundreds of deer, sheep, cows, pigs and various other tasty 4 leggers processed and, while I never thought it was easy, I also didn't think is was so *hard*! So remember to tip your butcher well, and if you arent using a meat market, start...the cuts are better and more economical than supermarket meat...how can their meat stay red after days of sitting out?
...yea, I got learned. My self meat butcher was more of an economic situation making my choice for me...I just couldn't afford it this year, but I did have a twinge of excitement thinking of the experience I would gain
So....I did finish the job with quite a bit of useful meat, it's not the pretty cuts one would find at the Meat Store, but I can tell what cut it is, and damned if they don't taste even more delicious! I attribute that to a heavy seasoning of pride, which is a common taste improver :)



No comments: